Denied

Posted on 1:42 PM, under

On Friday soon after rejoicing at the idea of having a regular weekend my host mother tells me we have exams on Sunday. I tell her in a few short words that I'm not doing it then. She looks surprised at the idea of me not being happy at only having 7 hours in Batumi over the weekend as I'd have to back in Merisi Saturday night. I told them I was going to Batumi for the day and got the 7am Marshutka in. I figure if I struggle getting out of Merisi I can turn the tables and make it difficult to get in. Meanwhile I've been talking to TLG telling them to tell my principal that I'm not doing it.

So armed with a laptop, inadequate wet weather gear and a towel here I am on Sunday morning at 4:49am. My weekend has consisted of watching the tension of the live updates from the All Blacks Wallabies game, buying my first ever umbrella, seeking wireless internet and being declined water.

So after my friends accommodation offer fell through the idea of getting a hotel gave visions of hot showers and western toilets. Sadly the water in the city is off. Of fucking course it is.

Let me leave you with this (keep in mind Batumi is in Adjara):

Adjara receives the highest amounts of precipitation both in Georgia and in the Caucasus. It is also one of the wettest temperate regions in the northern hemisphere. No region along Adjara's coast receives less than 2,200mm (86.6 inches) of precipitation per year. The west-facing (windward) slopes of the Meskheti Range receive upwards of 4,500mm (177 inches) of precipitation per year. The coastal lowlands receive most of the precipitation in the form of rain (due to the area's subtropical climate). September and October are usually the wettest months. Batumi's average monthly rainfall for the month of September is 410mm (16.14 inches)
Source: Wikipedia

So we've established it rains a lot, and.....

Most of Batumi's drinking water comes from the neighbouring river, the Chakvi. When it rains, the river water is often contaminated to the extent that it represents a health risk for consumers. Taps must then literally be turned off. The city's water main is closed down. The existing pumping capacity of the well field close to the town is only enough to meet the needs of a small section of the population. In the higher-lying parts of town in particular, supplies can be interrupted for a longer period.

edit post

0 Reply to "Denied"