I had an online chat with my sister while I was house sitting a few weeks back. We were discussing my (somewhat bleak) future and she told me:
I can see where she is coming from, but I just don't like it. I've been looking since October and have been turned down from a variety of jobs, it seems the only thing I've got experience in since leaving university is a near perfect streak of application rejection. With that in mind I was surfing the net and came across an article that I could relate to from other graduates who walked out to find nothing available. So I really find it hard to comprehend how going away for a year and making money puts me at a disadvantage to getting the dole and waiting out a recession.
I think I'm starting to align myself with whoever wrote this:
I guess it comes down to what it means by "useful experience" really means. But anything has got to be more useful than an extended period of unemployment. Right? But at this stage I've resigned myself to the fact that I will not have a career in economics. I'm okay with this. The producer from Long Way Round studied Civil Engineering and the most I've seen him do with that was hack up a bit of the Road of Bones in Russia to make it drivable. I don't know where I'm going with that side story, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.
Meanwhile I'm kind of sick and coughing etc. Kind of unpleasant really. But we may be going out to see The Watchman tonight. I have no idea what it's about, but fuck do I get excited from the preview.
Oh, on another note, I found out for around $400,000 USD I can become a citizen of St Kitts and get a dual passport, which is less special than if I were from outside of our great commonwealth. But, something to consider. I should mention that part of that money is used to by a house on a tropical island, so it isn't all sunk.
i'm all for you going off on an adventure and i totally get that you're struggling here but i'll give you one piece of advice which i hope you'll consider :)
when you come back aged 26 or whatever, you'll have left NZ without work experience that's particularly relevant to your academic quals
so...
it could make getting a job back here really bloody hard unless you get the right experience overseas
to back up what you want to do when you settle on something.
make sense?
I can see where she is coming from, but I just don't like it. I've been looking since October and have been turned down from a variety of jobs, it seems the only thing I've got experience in since leaving university is a near perfect streak of application rejection. With that in mind I was surfing the net and came across an article that I could relate to from other graduates who walked out to find nothing available. So I really find it hard to comprehend how going away for a year and making money puts me at a disadvantage to getting the dole and waiting out a recession.
I think I'm starting to align myself with whoever wrote this:
Do something – don’t just do nothing and wait for the recession to end. Someone with an extended period of unemployment, even during a recession, will not be a good prospect for most companies after the recession; they’d prefer someone who got useful experience or a brand new graduate. So get work experience, do further study, voluntary work, or any job that can build on your skills or give you the opportunity to shine.
I guess it comes down to what it means by "useful experience" really means. But anything has got to be more useful than an extended period of unemployment. Right? But at this stage I've resigned myself to the fact that I will not have a career in economics. I'm okay with this. The producer from Long Way Round studied Civil Engineering and the most I've seen him do with that was hack up a bit of the Road of Bones in Russia to make it drivable. I don't know where I'm going with that side story, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.
Meanwhile I'm kind of sick and coughing etc. Kind of unpleasant really. But we may be going out to see The Watchman tonight. I have no idea what it's about, but fuck do I get excited from the preview.
Oh, on another note, I found out for around $400,000 USD I can become a citizen of St Kitts and get a dual passport, which is less special than if I were from outside of our great commonwealth. But, something to consider. I should mention that part of that money is used to by a house on a tropical island, so it isn't all sunk.