The careers fair was on today and this time I took it much more seriously. I only got 3 lollies and 3 pens, one of which because had a URL on it, another I actually used to highlight key information the guy was talking about. I also scored a bottle opener which would be a decent gift to mail to a friend offshore (TBA), after all one can only have so many bottle openers and my old one is stellar.
It is also of note that even though candy and pens were in front of me ripe for the taking, I was more interested in what jobs were on offer. Responsibilities ahoy!
Sadly a lot of jobs were in Auckland, which realistically puts them down the list with the customs job. I could tell right off the bat that some of these employers were looking for graduates in anything to do blue collar work, a trend that I have little doubt will increase. Kind of a shame when you need a university degree to find porn or knives in a guys bag.
So far, without going into depth and using a shoddy memory and filing system my picks of the bunch are:
Transpower/Contact/Mercury Energy - (Transpower was the top winner in the electricity market)
IBM (salvage something from the near completion of a incomplete BCS maybe?)
Reckitt Benckiser (They mentioned overseas and they made a decent pitch)
The Warehouse (God help them if upper management wears those red shirts, still I'd wear that over the cookie time shirt)
There are others and I'll apply for a lot because I don't want to ignore the advice Travis passed on "Line up a job before you leave"
It's actually exciting to see what sort of stuff was on offer yet terrifying at the same time. Doing Economics I've never had to really do so much analysis on stuff that I'd feel in my league applying for a job as an Analysis.
And now back to class to nail and assignment (I hope) and return a book.
It is also of note that even though candy and pens were in front of me ripe for the taking, I was more interested in what jobs were on offer. Responsibilities ahoy!
Sadly a lot of jobs were in Auckland, which realistically puts them down the list with the customs job. I could tell right off the bat that some of these employers were looking for graduates in anything to do blue collar work, a trend that I have little doubt will increase. Kind of a shame when you need a university degree to find porn or knives in a guys bag.
So far, without going into depth and using a shoddy memory and filing system my picks of the bunch are:
Transpower/Contact/Mercury Energy - (Transpower was the top winner in the electricity market)
IBM (salvage something from the near completion of a incomplete BCS maybe?)
Reckitt Benckiser (They mentioned overseas and they made a decent pitch)
The Warehouse (God help them if upper management wears those red shirts, still I'd wear that over the cookie time shirt)
There are others and I'll apply for a lot because I don't want to ignore the advice Travis passed on "Line up a job before you leave"
It's actually exciting to see what sort of stuff was on offer yet terrifying at the same time. Doing Economics I've never had to really do so much analysis on stuff that I'd feel in my league applying for a job as an Analysis.
And now back to class to nail and assignment (I hope) and return a book.