Well what a weekend it was. Penn State hosted Notre Dame and the place just went nuts. On Friday we went to the pep rally and it was like a sauna filled with screaming Americans. The coach and team came out after a few songs and then that was about all that had to offer. Having been to two of them now I think I've seen enough. I get it. You're excited and American. I often wonder if my University would have so many activities if our drinking age was so high. No doubt we'd spend the free time trying to get the age back to 18, so that's a lost cause.
After the pep rally I met up with Australians and we headed to a small private birthday party for someone I did not know. It turned out to be pretty good and the people were nice. I suspect I'll see them again in time.
The night pretty much ended with me frustrated that no bar I could find would cover such an early All Black game. Which didn't matter because I couldn't drag my self out of bed for that kick off, rising 3 hours later to read good news.
The Saturday was insane. It was like a massive festival in town, people, music, queues into the Sharkies (beer store - can't buy beer and spirits together in PA) that were close to amusement park standards. I think the problem was compounded by the fact you could really only buy a dozen at a time. Yay America.
If I thought town was insane the stadium was a real eye opener. Parked all around the stadium was a mass of caravans, rv's and big utes/pick ups. Barbecues and open containers as far as the eye can see. Remember kids, football weekend is the only time you're allowed open containers in public. I've been pulled over for it once and they were cool about it because I'm a crazy foreigner of age. But yeah, they normally enforce that rule hard.
Armed with my hiking pack filled with beer I eventually settled in and found out where we were tailgating we mucked around, painted some faces, drank ate, then moved on to another one. Which after losing a game of beer pong reigned supreme for about three rounds, which then led to us finding coverage of the game. PSU won.
Sunday happened. Got supplies for squirrel fishing (line, sinkers and peanuts. I love Walmart)
Then today (Monday) gave blood, nuff said.
After the pep rally I met up with Australians and we headed to a small private birthday party for someone I did not know. It turned out to be pretty good and the people were nice. I suspect I'll see them again in time.
The night pretty much ended with me frustrated that no bar I could find would cover such an early All Black game. Which didn't matter because I couldn't drag my self out of bed for that kick off, rising 3 hours later to read good news.
The Saturday was insane. It was like a massive festival in town, people, music, queues into the Sharkies (beer store - can't buy beer and spirits together in PA) that were close to amusement park standards. I think the problem was compounded by the fact you could really only buy a dozen at a time. Yay America.
If I thought town was insane the stadium was a real eye opener. Parked all around the stadium was a mass of caravans, rv's and big utes/pick ups. Barbecues and open containers as far as the eye can see. Remember kids, football weekend is the only time you're allowed open containers in public. I've been pulled over for it once and they were cool about it because I'm a crazy foreigner of age. But yeah, they normally enforce that rule hard.
Armed with my hiking pack filled with beer I eventually settled in and found out where we were tailgating we mucked around, painted some faces, drank ate, then moved on to another one. Which after losing a game of beer pong reigned supreme for about three rounds, which then led to us finding coverage of the game. PSU won.
Sunday happened. Got supplies for squirrel fishing (line, sinkers and peanuts. I love Walmart)
Then today (Monday) gave blood, nuff said.