Today was a big day, but then that seems hardly a surprise. As I write this I face the fact that tomorrow should be even bigger as I have to get up in about 4 hours to embark on a 37+ hour train ride to Denver. But anyway this post is about today.
The guys at the flat I've been staying with had to get groceries and so we went to Costco. Costco is amazing. It's like the Warehouse and Gilmores had a secret love child they sent to the States while they lived in secrecy in NZ but battle hardened and put under every performance enhancing. At one point I was standing between the frozen foods and DVD's while Manik is looking at external hard drives. I'd go on, but the point has been made.
Next it was off to Walmart. I'm sure on day one it would have amazed me, but from what I've seen here already and in a lot of movies it provided no first time magic. I do notice they put a McDonalds in there, which surprisingly is common from what I've seen.
After that was all done we got to the bread and butter of San Francisco tourist stuff. We saw the bridge, it was orange and big, it also seemed to be a mecca of some sort for tourists, it's kind of weird how the bridge right next to it gets no attention, despite looking about the same length, but nowhere as impressive in height.
After that we checked out the wharf or pier or whatever it was called. I had a corn dog and some shrimp, it was really interesting. I also got fleeced out of $10 by some shifty shoe shine dude. He was entertaining so I guess I'll look back on it in time and laugh. Something similar happened to me in Wellington when I first moved there. I guess I'm entitled to one of those per move to a bigger city. (read: I'm simple small town)
We saw some other cool things like life sized animals made of bread. As some people I lived with may no, I do like bread, so the concept of animal sized bread is cool.
We came back and I fell asleep in the car again, the roads are long and straight and the scenery is nothing to write about. We then saw I pronounce you Chuck and Larry, not too bad.
I'll post next time I can, but don't expect anything till the new month.
The guys at the flat I've been staying with had to get groceries and so we went to Costco. Costco is amazing. It's like the Warehouse and Gilmores had a secret love child they sent to the States while they lived in secrecy in NZ but battle hardened and put under every performance enhancing. At one point I was standing between the frozen foods and DVD's while Manik is looking at external hard drives. I'd go on, but the point has been made.
Next it was off to Walmart. I'm sure on day one it would have amazed me, but from what I've seen here already and in a lot of movies it provided no first time magic. I do notice they put a McDonalds in there, which surprisingly is common from what I've seen.
After that was all done we got to the bread and butter of San Francisco tourist stuff. We saw the bridge, it was orange and big, it also seemed to be a mecca of some sort for tourists, it's kind of weird how the bridge right next to it gets no attention, despite looking about the same length, but nowhere as impressive in height.
After that we checked out the wharf or pier or whatever it was called. I had a corn dog and some shrimp, it was really interesting. I also got fleeced out of $10 by some shifty shoe shine dude. He was entertaining so I guess I'll look back on it in time and laugh. Something similar happened to me in Wellington when I first moved there. I guess I'm entitled to one of those per move to a bigger city. (read: I'm simple small town)
We saw some other cool things like life sized animals made of bread. As some people I lived with may no, I do like bread, so the concept of animal sized bread is cool.
We came back and I fell asleep in the car again, the roads are long and straight and the scenery is nothing to write about. We then saw I pronounce you Chuck and Larry, not too bad.
I'll post next time I can, but don't expect anything till the new month.