Midnight Run!!

Posted on 10:53 PM, under

As a disclaimer I have to forewarn this will be at least a three part saga. I'd also like to say I'm neither overly proud nor ashamed of what I did. I just did what I did.

Original plan was to wait till like close to the first marhsutka and then make a dash, which when I thought about it was risky. We have an old man in the house and you know how they can get up at random intervals like some sort of sentry. So I couldn't sleep and I had just finished packing so I sat outside for a while. The night was quiet and bright from the full moon. I just couldn't sleep and with me being no anxious I just thought 'why not go now?' and so I did.

I carried my bags down one at a time then with everything finally down I carried them out, rather than make noise equipping myself. I bit down the driveway I loaded myself like the one man mule show and started walking.

The walk was calm, but some moments had me halt in my tracks, leaves are falling and no doubt rats are around making sounds. I had a half full water bottle for protection; not exactly sure what I'd do with it, but I remember my dog hated water in the ears. It was kind of exhausting carrying everything and doing a two hour trek, but I got there. Then I was faced with the prospect of being in in Keda at 3:30 in the morning with nowhere to go and no way out; in true homeless style I tried sleeping at the bus stop.

I managed 30 mins, but it was too cold. I tried hitch-hiking and eventually managed to get a 6am marshutka to Batumi. I slept most of the way and eventually found myself in the position of being homeless in Batumi before things open (which for most stuff is at 10am) I texted the MoE of Adjara and told them I was here; bright and eagerly and then played the waiting game.

It was about 9:30am before my great escape was discovered. I got calls from my host mother asking why my stuff was gone, even though she's the head English teacher she never understood me, so explaing it was too tough. I then got a call from my resource centre and he was quite snarky, despite not talking to me since he dropped me off in that hole. Then the MoE of Adjara rang and asked why I did that before my call; she didn't have anywhere to go.

Really, who would of seen that coming? If I didn't do what I did then I wouldn't of made it out. She then also got snarky saying nobody wanted me for just a month and asked what do I suggest. I asked her in a rhetorical way have you only been looking in Adjara? Of course she had, she's in an autonomous republic. So I said lets widden the net, I don't care if I'm in Adjara or not.

So the rest of the day was me sitting in a cafe and letting TLG scramble the jets to try and fix this mess. I had a nice meal and enjoyed my homelessness. Already my quality of life had improved. I rang every now and then and asked if they wanted me to go somewhere. They didn't and was reassured that I'd ben talked to soon.

The hours rolled by and I rang some people who rang some people and sent me some friends to hang out with. I told my story a few times and eventually I was told they'd send me a driver and pick me up and take me to Tbilisi; life just gets better. I had a pizza with a friend and came back to the cafe and waited for the driver.

The driver came and I slept a lot of the way. I'd forgotten how scary Georgian driving is and the drive was a mixture of slumber and ass clenching terror. Eventually we got to Tbilis after about 5 or so hours and I was dropped into a private hostel and there I was to stay the night.

To be continued..

edit post

0 Reply to "Midnight Run!!"