- Have my shit ready now.
- Be ready to leave at the drop of a hat,
- Walk out of here carrying my shit.
- Catch the 7:30 marshutka up the road a bit out of sight
- Sweet, sweet freedom?
I write this with full knowledge that when I post this I will know how actual events transpired; right now I speculate on a few scenarios. It's kind of a shame that I'll know the ending before I post this.
Keeping in mind I've known a few people who have left their homes here in the mountains of Adjara and have heard how various families reacted I'm unsure how to proceed. It's Thursday night and tomorrow is supposed to be my moving day. I haven't told my family in case I get let down by TLG or the Ministry of Education of Adjara (MOEA from now on); there's no point going through that stress for something that hasn't been confirmed. Unfortunately this is similar to how Dan left his village; no advanced warning I'm leaving now. Sixteen people followed him out. Brian let them know days before he was leaving, I'm not sure how he knew, maybe he's an oracle or something, but it made the whole process a bit smoother; either way I don't have that luxury and am by default going with the Dan method.
As I mentioned previously I have to arrange my own transport. If I get the green light after 9am tomorrow I'm kind of in a weird limbo like stage as there is no marshutka for me for the rest of the day. Even if there was I have, almost literally, the prospect of the angry villager scenario. Nobody wants to be the monster, except it's kind of in reverse as if, like what has happened to others, they will go out of their way to stop you. Depending on how MOEA does the me hitching a ride thing it will still be after they tell my principal, which will means word will be out quick.
My next idea was to take the early marshutka on Saturday. I'm always on it and nobody is up at that time on that day. Hopefully allowing me a clean escape as they may not go into my room and notice my shit gone. Again, this hinges on that MOEA doesn't tell my principal on Friday as any and all movements with bags after that would be considered suspicious.
So on my marathon chat with my mate Dan, a fellow (former) Adjarian and lucky escapee I realised my best plan of attack is to:
Granted I know this isn't the most honorable exit, but I also don't want them clinging onto me and begging and heaven forbid changing my mind. My biggest logistical problem is that I think my beanie is at school and I really love that beanie. I guess I have to make an adult decision on the fate of that beanie.
Breaking historic news: I just found that beanie right after I wrote that last sentence. That takes away, sadly, my strongest excuse for staying here an extra day/few hours.
Mum, I have to apologise: I may leave two of your Lunch with the Generals books here due to space restrictions. If that does happen think of it as a means to get me out easier and as a gift that may help someone learn English better, even if the book involves war, rape and concentration camps; a real hoot I know.
So with only my little bag left to pack, which should only include what I came with, plus a small Nokia box I'm set to go. I'm kind of excited and sad it has to be this way. If anything I hope I gain some stones in this quasi rebellion of mine; maybe not in the execution of it but in the ability to stick up for myself and reiterate that I'm not in the Peace Corps and want to be on par with the majority of the TLG volunteers and not just be a complete pushover.
Now all that waits is putting this in my bag and waiting till it's closer to 6am. I'd say wish me luck but it would be retrospective.
----
I'm out! I'll give it a few days before I wrap up this thrilling conclusion. I will however give you a sneak peek: Dogs! marshutkas and disarray! And in case you're wondering I saved the books. More soon when the saga is finished