
Children everywhere!
14/09/2010
Last night was intense. The weather came in hard and for a minute I felt like at sea. The wind, lightning and rain shook the house. I guess with this altitude you're just that much closer to the action.
In the morning I awoke at 9:45am. I had another meeting with the principal at 10am and there was no way I would make that easily. My host mother/english teacher made me sit for breakfast even. We get there at 10:25 and the meeting happens just before 12. The time isn't wasted as I have a bunch of them go through some of the activites in my Georigan language handout I was given that I didn't do due to illness. It's kind of nostalgic learning how to read that messed up alpabet. For a taste of it just check out google.ge
Tomorrow school starts and I expect that will be more punctual, so now more gabbering on the phone till late hours. It's nice that we can call others in the program for free as I miss not talking with a limited vocabulary and grunting and pointing. My Mum is probably thing what's different to normal? But with school starting I can have the upper hand and watch them struggle to pronounce English. At least I've learned empathy for the situation.
I also found out that the mini van doesn't head into Batumi on Friday afternoons, so that rules out a 3 day trip. I'm quite excited to see some friends again, we just have to work out accomodation; I hope it is affordable.
16/9/2010

Taken during my walk
Yesterday I woke up early for the agreedd run, but I was locked out of the house. I guess the rain was a bit too intense and I wasn't going to argue for it. I had my first day of school yesterday and it was nerve racking, despite having no classes. I did however have to give a small speech in front of the 245 kids, the 35+ staff and an assortment of parents. Luckily for me the kids talked through most of the assembly (I'll put a picture of them up one day I promise) so when it came to me, I jumped straight into it, I might have even cut off the principal, but someone told me it was my cue, so by the time the students realised I was talking I was wrapping up my speech when they got quiet; if it is possible to wrap up a five sentance speech.
In the afternoon I told them I was going to walk to Keda, the closest town to here. The grandfather wouldn't let me. "Shvidi kilometer" I put my thumbs up. "Ati Kilometer, Keda. Suddenly this picturesque mountain town had moved from seven to ten kilometers away. At this point I'm frisking madly through the phrase book and even that was no substitute for making walking fingers and pointing at my camera. They conceded, but then he made the granchildren come with me. I told them to stay the best I could, but I think even if I spoke perfect Georgian to them it wouldn't have mattered; I think Grandfathers word took priority.
We we're walking down the dirt road and they're trying to convince me to turn back, "skola..interneti.....Chris cards." Yeah, I really want to go back to school on what could be my last chance at a nice weekday walk. I feel all I've seen here is this house, the shop that sells me Miranda when I want coke and the school. Don't get me wrong, the people are nice and all, but I want to see more of this region; this place makes New Zealand look like Utah.
After a phone call to Deda (mother) I got her to tell the children that I just want to go for a walk, I wont go to Keda (they had sucked about an hour of my day with the stalling) and I just wanted to go for a walk. With that, they left me and I was left to my own device. I think I was about 3/4 the way before I turned around. I didn't want to be caught out in the dark.
Today I got up for a run at around 8 and ran past like 15 students. I don't like running in front of people; because I'm shit at it. The only saving grace was it was downhill when I saw them. I have one class at 1:30, so I might try a Keda mission again today. I guess I could always pay the 40 tetri to get a ride back. I just really want a haircut.
17/9/2010
Yesterday was my first lesson. I was kind of nervous as I had no idea what we were doing, nor had any one mention the lesson plan that I was meant to have input in. It sounds like they're waiting to sort out the schedule before they do this; why they didn't establish it before school starts I don't know, well that isn't true, I think it's because things don't get done quickly here. The lesson was actually fun. My role was to sit in the corner and I would get told a phrase from the English teach and I would say it to them so they could hear it from a native speaker and they would repeat it after me; it's kind of a power trip really. Before that I got to use the internet and was so close to uploading this plus some pictures, then the power cut off, so the computer kept running but the router died. Next time I guess.
I got to talk to Mum before and after class which is nice. It's always good to hear from home.
Last night I got a call from Dan, one of the 15 ADjarians. I established he's around 40km+ up the road from me and he sounds like he's about to have a mental breakdown. It's been a week and for him it's felt like years. We talked for a while, but he said they're building a bathroom (at odd hours ie 3am) but until then he has to go for a walk to a long drop, he has no running water and had to walk to get consistant phone coverage. And it's very Muslim there; to the point where he has met someone from the Taliban. After talking to him I wanted to expand my radius of phone calls from my usual three people to find out how my extended friends are doing.
I called Brian next as his number was listed on the call sheet; a rarity for the 15 Adjarians. He's closer towards me, but he too is in a backwards area, that's also quite Muslim. I'm not saying this to hate on the Muslims, it's just that this country loves their Jesus more than the Catholics love the kiddies. The common theme was that they have nobody around them that speaks English and that the whole thing is beyond a joke, no showers etc. It makes me appreciate how lucky I am. I have no doubt I'm having the best experience of the Adjara mountain men.
But Dan did raise a good point. How on earth do we leave here when it snows? The roads are pretty shit in general and the whole way to here I remember thinking if we go over the edge then that's it. Seatbelts are a novelty in these parts and even if we had them it would be an insult to wear them.
I then decided to call my friend Jonathon as I heard he was having a rough time. He's placed near Zugdidi which is to the North, pretty much in a place where we were told nobody would be placed. I heard from someone he can't leave the house to go to school because the Russians are positioning troops near the border of the occupied territory of Abkhazia and TLG are telling him to just wait and see what happens. I told him to tell them to move him ASAP.
Shannon got moved last night from her home. I was talking to her the night before last and she was getting akward text messages from her host brother who was in the other room. He's married, but we know that that doesn't stand for much as Georgian men are almost encouraged to have affairs. To cut a story short I told her to lock her door and put some obstacle to at least wake her should she be disturbed and to sleep in jeans. She wasn't going to, but she rang our friend Kyli who convinced her to do so and also sleep with a knife under her pillow. Chances are she would have been fine, but I guess you shouldn't chance it when it comes to rape. So now she's back at the training centre waiting to get placed. I was telling her prior to come to Adjara as it's really pretty (and it is) and she wanted the "real" Georgian experience. But the only people who want the "real" Georgian experience are the ones who haven't had it. What can I say, I really count myself lucky. I guess we could say that for some the honeymoon period has come and gone.
So because Shannon is getting relocated our trip to Batumi is looking shakey. If she doesn't go that means Kyli might not come as she doesn't want to go alone; which I fully understand, Kyli told me that she doesn't feel in any danger, but a trip by yourself like that is amping up the risk factor. I'm sure if they don't go the Adjara mountain men will want to go in. I don't even need to ask I'm sure some of them would almost consider walking it.
In the afternoon I told them I was going to walk to Keda, the closest town to here. The grandfather wouldn't let me. "Shvidi kilometer" I put my thumbs up. "Ati Kilometer, Keda. Suddenly this picturesque mountain town had moved from seven to ten kilometers away. At this point I'm frisking madly through the phrase book and even that was no substitute for making walking fingers and pointing at my camera. They conceded, but then he made the granchildren come with me. I told them to stay the best I could, but I think even if I spoke perfect Georgian to them it wouldn't have mattered; I think Grandfathers word took priority.
We we're walking down the dirt road and they're trying to convince me to turn back, "skola..interneti.....Chris cards." Yeah, I really want to go back to school on what could be my last chance at a nice weekday walk. I feel all I've seen here is this house, the shop that sells me Miranda when I want coke and the school. Don't get me wrong, the people are nice and all, but I want to see more of this region; this place makes New Zealand look like Utah.
After a phone call to Deda (mother) I got her to tell the children that I just want to go for a walk, I wont go to Keda (they had sucked about an hour of my day with the stalling) and I just wanted to go for a walk. With that, they left me and I was left to my own device. I think I was about 3/4 the way before I turned around. I didn't want to be caught out in the dark.
Today I got up for a run at around 8 and ran past like 15 students. I don't like running in front of people; because I'm shit at it. The only saving grace was it was downhill when I saw them. I have one class at 1:30, so I might try a Keda mission again today. I guess I could always pay the 40 tetri to get a ride back. I just really want a haircut.
17/9/2010
Yesterday was my first lesson. I was kind of nervous as I had no idea what we were doing, nor had any one mention the lesson plan that I was meant to have input in. It sounds like they're waiting to sort out the schedule before they do this; why they didn't establish it before school starts I don't know, well that isn't true, I think it's because things don't get done quickly here. The lesson was actually fun. My role was to sit in the corner and I would get told a phrase from the English teach and I would say it to them so they could hear it from a native speaker and they would repeat it after me; it's kind of a power trip really. Before that I got to use the internet and was so close to uploading this plus some pictures, then the power cut off, so the computer kept running but the router died. Next time I guess.
I got to talk to Mum before and after class which is nice. It's always good to hear from home.
Last night I got a call from Dan, one of the 15 ADjarians. I established he's around 40km+ up the road from me and he sounds like he's about to have a mental breakdown. It's been a week and for him it's felt like years. We talked for a while, but he said they're building a bathroom (at odd hours ie 3am) but until then he has to go for a walk to a long drop, he has no running water and had to walk to get consistant phone coverage. And it's very Muslim there; to the point where he has met someone from the Taliban. After talking to him I wanted to expand my radius of phone calls from my usual three people to find out how my extended friends are doing.
I called Brian next as his number was listed on the call sheet; a rarity for the 15 Adjarians. He's closer towards me, but he too is in a backwards area, that's also quite Muslim. I'm not saying this to hate on the Muslims, it's just that this country loves their Jesus more than the Catholics love the kiddies. The common theme was that they have nobody around them that speaks English and that the whole thing is beyond a joke, no showers etc. It makes me appreciate how lucky I am. I have no doubt I'm having the best experience of the Adjara mountain men.
But Dan did raise a good point. How on earth do we leave here when it snows? The roads are pretty shit in general and the whole way to here I remember thinking if we go over the edge then that's it. Seatbelts are a novelty in these parts and even if we had them it would be an insult to wear them.
I then decided to call my friend Jonathon as I heard he was having a rough time. He's placed near Zugdidi which is to the North, pretty much in a place where we were told nobody would be placed. I heard from someone he can't leave the house to go to school because the Russians are positioning troops near the border of the occupied territory of Abkhazia and TLG are telling him to just wait and see what happens. I told him to tell them to move him ASAP.
Shannon got moved last night from her home. I was talking to her the night before last and she was getting akward text messages from her host brother who was in the other room. He's married, but we know that that doesn't stand for much as Georgian men are almost encouraged to have affairs. To cut a story short I told her to lock her door and put some obstacle to at least wake her should she be disturbed and to sleep in jeans. She wasn't going to, but she rang our friend Kyli who convinced her to do so and also sleep with a knife under her pillow. Chances are she would have been fine, but I guess you shouldn't chance it when it comes to rape. So now she's back at the training centre waiting to get placed. I was telling her prior to come to Adjara as it's really pretty (and it is) and she wanted the "real" Georgian experience. But the only people who want the "real" Georgian experience are the ones who haven't had it. What can I say, I really count myself lucky. I guess we could say that for some the honeymoon period has come and gone.
So because Shannon is getting relocated our trip to Batumi is looking shakey. If she doesn't go that means Kyli might not come as she doesn't want to go alone; which I fully understand, Kyli told me that she doesn't feel in any danger, but a trip by yourself like that is amping up the risk factor. I'm sure if they don't go the Adjara mountain men will want to go in. I don't even need to ask I'm sure some of them would almost consider walking it.