
Picture: View from bedroom window
(12/9/2010)
Well I've arrived to my new home. The 15 of us went to Batumi and it looked like paradise, the only thing wrong is the beach lacks sand and surf; it has small smooth pebbles instead. We ate overlooking the Black Sea and then met up with some people who took us in different directions. I still don't know where I am in relation to other people in the Autonomous Republic of Ajara. All I know is I shared a ride with Todd, the creepy older guy with a wig. So far I've met the guy in charge of the resource centre of the area and I've met my principal.
About where I am: I know it's a small village that starts with 'M' and is 10km from the nearest small town of Keda. We left the Black Sea and headed into the mountains. I'm told it's 7000m above seal level. It's absolutley stunning. I'll post some pictures when I can and even this post.
The family has two children, the parents and I think the Fathers parents. The place has a toilet that's a step up from the training centre, so I can 'flush' toilet paper; I say flush, but really it's fill a pan of water and tip it down the toilet. I'll have to do photos in bits so I don't burn through my content too quickly.
Yesterday I got a call from Dad for his birthday. I didn't forget, I've just lost track of days and dates. I guess a mention for Fathers day is due.
The Father or Mama (confusing I know) as they call it must make his own wine, whisky and juice from all the grapes around here. Last night I got a bit drunk, which is like saying the Pope is a bit Catholic. I didn't make a mess and even the Father go sick as well. I had a few factors I forgot. New altitude means alcohol hits me harder and percentages are nuts; some beers are 12% and come in half litre bottles.
(Later)
The principal came by for late breakfast, he was trying to get me to do a shot of whiskey claiming it would make me feel better. At that point food was a struggle. I said ara so many times, yet he still poured it. I refused and I don't really care if I offended him over that, I made my position by saying no (ara). I'm finding the mass consumption and constant toasting very trying. The next meal they wanted me to toast with wine. I made a gesture indicating a tiny bit, but still I get a full glass; I only manage a couple of sips. Tonight we were at the neigbours and again the father (mama) comes in and tries to convince me to drink the vino. If I understood correctly he'd already had 2L of the stuff.
I should probably mention that I live with a Doctor and an Egnlish teacher and that the Doctor (father) has an ambulance that looks as if it were an upgraded WW2 throw back.
I guess that's all for tonight. I guess I'll close with Roosters are jerks; especially when hung over.
13/9/2010
Had our first staff meeting. I was beginning to think maybe Ajara doesn't run on GMT (Georgian Maybe Time) and was to be punctual at 11am. Then i found out the principal was out of town then so we had to come back at 2:30, which ended up being 1:45.
We had a staff meeting with me, my host Mother/English teacher and the other English teacher and the principal, which was provided with rough translation. The gist of it was that I'll find out more closer to when school starts (T-2 days) but it looks like I do two classes with each teacher, plus their might be some other stuff. I didn't understand the translation and I didn't think the surprise would kill me. At this point I was more stunned by the talking at the school assembly in front of over 250 people. The only saving grace being that maybe only two people will know what I'm talking about; I could talk about my basil plant that I grew and probably stil get an applause.
After that four person meeting we went upstairs and I got introduced to the whole staff by the principal. It was like 30 plus faces and I understood my name and the bit about New Zealand, then I was left standing there smiling for three minutes while he carried on. After the introduction I was given the option to go, so I stayed and had no idea what was being said during that meeting, which got progressivly louder.
My trip to Batumi is being planned slowly for the weekend. It looks like there will be three of us and it should be roughly a two hour trip for all of us despite me being so close on the map.
I'm told there's internet at or near the school so I'm hoping to post this after tomorrows mystery meeting.
-----
Nope we did it in a midnight treck up the hill. Hope you asppreciate the effort.
No word from home lately (hint hint)