A tale of two companies

Posted on 8:29 PM, under

The difference between Telecom and Statistics New Zealand became quite clear. One is a government department, the other was a government entity albeit still heavily regulated. The differences were shown in how the presentations are run.

Telecom had us just rock up to Kelburn campus, no registration, emails or anything required, they did a presentation, a cell phone was given away and everyone walked away feeling good with jelly beans and an energy drink. It was easy, it was casual and to be honest I wouldn't mind landing that role. 24 hours and a different presentation later I'm left in awe at the differences between two companies.

Once again I'm meeting at Kelburn for another presentation, except instead of being hosted at Kelburn, Statistics decide to have it at their evil lair (yes I'm fucking bias and I'll set the tone how ever I like) after arriving at Kelburn I'm meant to meet at the entrance of Hunter building. I have no idea which one seeing as there is two of them, so I decide not to wait by the group of people I wouldn't normally associate with (math enthusiasts) I go to the other entrance and see a shuttle and a girl asking something and he indicates yes, so I ask and get in.

This shuttle then drives to the front and meets the other shuttle, eventually we're on our way at break neck speed through traffic. This dude was verging on reckless, despite that I wasn't putting on a lap belt, but at least he made good time. Despite his rambling about the government will make hydrogen illegal because "once it's burned you can't make water" Wow. Also it's of note you can get a device to power your car with hydrogen for $45. It's worth mentioning that he didn't say where.

I get out and the usher us into the new looking building. It looks spiffy. I almost groan when I see a food platter out there. I get that feeling it's going to suck. I hate it when I'm right. We get three speakers, three people who seem excited by their jobs, making me think they're either actors, or on something. There is no way on earth you could get that excited by what they do. I'm bored by their pitch and that's meant to be the thing that signs you up. I can't imagine how terrible the work must be. Then again the chairs they have were nice. The main selling point for the job was the "Flexitime" meaning you can start late or early and finish accordingly, as long as you were there at 10am and 2pm. Also their social club got a big mention.

So lets recap, you do mind numbing analysis and you get to start a few hours later, but can't structure it so you're away for one day a week. It is a real shame. They had the right idea, but that is more of a tease than flexibility. Also meeting up for organised drinks once a month doesn't sound as great as they made it out to be.

So the presentation ends and I'm hanging around for like 30 mind numbing minutes talking once to a dude who asked which of the three jobs I want to do. I don't think "none" was the answer he was looking for. The big kick in the groin is when I find out there is no shuttle back to Kelburn. Nice play Statistics. It would of been funnier if you held this meeting out in the country down some lonely highway. No, the industrial area by the wharf and stadium is just fine.

I'm still going to apply though. I'm hoping that I make it through the first few rounds just so I can deny them in the event a better job is accepted prior to. At the very least I'll try and milk it for interview experience. Or some stationary, then I can really see my tax dollars in action.

The lesson for graduate recruiters. Don't give me a ride down then hill to your evil lair, come to us so I don't get left walking down the dark streets in the rape capital of New Zealand because you don't advise us you won't drop us back.

edit post

0 Reply to "A tale of two companies"