Well being that I'm back in Wellington the need to update this isn't that burning. Being no longer in distant lands I have no significant news that is of dire need to share that often, but I'll try to keep it to a weekly update.
The first week of classes are over. And this semester I'm aiming to not buy a single textbook. Considering how much I actually do read them, where I read them (I take them to the library) and how much they cost, I feel it won't be worth it.
I am longer pursuing the extra year or so of schooling to have a better degree or multiple degrees. I feel that it won't lead to a significantly better job or that the year or so in university wouldn't recover the investment of lost time from a proper full time job. Plus I feel I'm getting to become the old timer here.
I got my Wii, it's fun and eats batteries like nobodies business. Guitar hero has become a flat activity with me and Emily and Wii sports with Doug. Needless to say it will become a good activity when the weather turns to shit. I did cut the following days class (the first week was worthless) but did do some lawns for an hour so I wasn't wasting my time too much.
To put some balance in my life I've also taken up playing pickup games of basketball with my neighbor Jack, who is a really good guy. I'm learning as I go and seem to improve as I learn. My defense is far superior to my offensive game, but if I'm open I have put in a few game winners which is a nice feeling. I guess all that time spent at home shooting hoops wasn't in vein.
Keeping with the basketball topic I caught an elbow to the face whilst playing, by no means intentional and being just one of those things but for the second time in two games my glasses came off and hit the floor. The first time both lenses popped out, which was a simple fix, the second time left the frame a little twisted, leaving me without my primary pair. I now either go without, or with my old ones. I think I may go for contacts this time round. The only reason I didn't get them last time was that Mum convinced me not to, being that you have to put them in solution etc. After talking to people here, a surprising amount of people wear contacts. I'll be looking at getting the ones you can use for two weeks. I feels that if I lose one, it's not the end of the world, yet it's long enough to not have to carry a small box if I go away for a week somewhere.
I will have a crack and trying to readjust those old glasses, but I still feel it's a sign to change the look. Plus I have really regretted the transition lenses a lot. They were meant to turn black and perhaps did, but the rose coloured transition looked stupid.
So here's hoping student allowance kicks in rather than living costs. As $190 is better than $150 and repaying <$2 a week is better than repaying $150.
The first week of classes are over. And this semester I'm aiming to not buy a single textbook. Considering how much I actually do read them, where I read them (I take them to the library) and how much they cost, I feel it won't be worth it.
I am longer pursuing the extra year or so of schooling to have a better degree or multiple degrees. I feel that it won't lead to a significantly better job or that the year or so in university wouldn't recover the investment of lost time from a proper full time job. Plus I feel I'm getting to become the old timer here.
I got my Wii, it's fun and eats batteries like nobodies business. Guitar hero has become a flat activity with me and Emily and Wii sports with Doug. Needless to say it will become a good activity when the weather turns to shit. I did cut the following days class (the first week was worthless) but did do some lawns for an hour so I wasn't wasting my time too much.
To put some balance in my life I've also taken up playing pickup games of basketball with my neighbor Jack, who is a really good guy. I'm learning as I go and seem to improve as I learn. My defense is far superior to my offensive game, but if I'm open I have put in a few game winners which is a nice feeling. I guess all that time spent at home shooting hoops wasn't in vein.
Keeping with the basketball topic I caught an elbow to the face whilst playing, by no means intentional and being just one of those things but for the second time in two games my glasses came off and hit the floor. The first time both lenses popped out, which was a simple fix, the second time left the frame a little twisted, leaving me without my primary pair. I now either go without, or with my old ones. I think I may go for contacts this time round. The only reason I didn't get them last time was that Mum convinced me not to, being that you have to put them in solution etc. After talking to people here, a surprising amount of people wear contacts. I'll be looking at getting the ones you can use for two weeks. I feels that if I lose one, it's not the end of the world, yet it's long enough to not have to carry a small box if I go away for a week somewhere.
I will have a crack and trying to readjust those old glasses, but I still feel it's a sign to change the look. Plus I have really regretted the transition lenses a lot. They were meant to turn black and perhaps did, but the rose coloured transition looked stupid.
So here's hoping student allowance kicks in rather than living costs. As $190 is better than $150 and repaying <$2 a week is better than repaying $150.