Extended Rant on VUWSA

Posted on 2:19 PM, under

I hinted about 10 minutes ago why I'm not a fan of VUWSA. It's not completely that they're a bunch of clowns. I'm sure they mean well. It's just that I don't feel I'm getting $120 worth of services.

Let's have a look with these 2002 figures

NZUSA - $4.25 each ($55,739) - We've talked about leaving them for a while. I don't actually know what we get out of this. I say cut the ties there, unless someone can convince me why to stay

VUWSA is a member of the New Zealand University Students’ Association (NZUSA) and this funding goes towards research and advocacy on a national level.
CAMPAIGNS - 26 cents each ($3,370) I know it's only 26 cents (in 2002 at least) but these campaigns haven't really shifted the spheres of power. I don't think we really tipped the balance with Civil Union, Prostitutes Reform Act etc. Going back further I don't think it was VUWSA who ended New Zealand's role in the Vietnam war

VUWSA spends money on coordinating campaigns on tertiary education issues such as student debt.
EDUCATION - $1.69 each ($22,238) This is, if I'm right, the ones in which we make a 13 man march down to the beehive and then high five each other for the difference we've made. I can't recall fees not going up as a result of these demonstrations, in fact as far as I see it, I think I'm $1.69 (in 2002) worse off

The education budget funds our full-time education coordinator who deals with student academic grievances and the class representative system.
WELFARE - $1.57 each ($20,588) Ok, this has to stop. I'll fill you in on the class representative scenario. At the start of each semester each class needs a class rep. Either you get 4 people wanting to do as in my FCOM class (all 4 got the job) or as in ECON 330 you get nobody for 2 weeks then someone volunteers just to close the issue. The difference being that if you're new o Uni you still have spirit and are not cynical like some have become. No doubt you have to train these people and have meetings, because meetings are super productive. I would like to see if that line they spin us "It can go in your C.V has ever led to someone who was a class rep hearing in an interviewer "You were a class rep? I've read enough, you've got the job." If I have an issue I go to the lecturer directly, not by proxy

The welfare budget is spent on the advocacy service VUWSA runs, administration of the food bank, and providing assistance for people having trouble with WINZ.
REPRESENTATIVE GROUPS - $3.20 each ($42,425)

By WINZ I assume they mean Study link. Which really is an impossible task being that Study link is the mothership for inefficiency. Perhaps WINZ could get their own funding to make themselves not suck as much as they do. I feel kind of two-faced back slapping the hand that feeds me, but I couldn't walk down the street without kicking some poor soul who has had issues with them.

As for the welfare part, I think ~$100 back in the hand out of the $120 would be better then free bread once a week


VUWSA allocates different amounts of funding to rep groups within Victoria University. These include: the Post-Graduate Students’ Association (PGSA), Mature Students, the Women’s Group, Crèche Parents, International Students, Can-Do (a special needs group), the Law Students Society (LSS), and the architecture students’ group (STUDIO).
NGAI TAUIRA - $10.26 each ($134,640) $10.26 (in 2002) for groups I don't belong to, or know what they do? Can somebody say "user pays" or "paid membership"?

VUWSA supports the Maori Students’ Association that represents all Maori students at Vic. Ngai Tauira works parallel with VUWSA and there is a memorandum of understanding between us.
STUDENT JOB SEARCH - $1.82 each ($23,872) I'm not saying this should be abolished, but rather, can't the ~$24,000 come out of that 3 million surplus the university made ($1 million of which was above budget)

VUWSA contributes towards the costs of funding this service in conjunction with other students’ associations and the Government.
ORIENTATION - $2.91 each ($38,245) This is stuff like the concerts I presume. I like subsidised concerts, provided they have music I like. Which I haven't seen on campus since 06

VUWSA organises and finances Orientation at the beginning of the first trimester each year.
ACTIVITIES - $4.08 each ($53,549) Orientation? Not at Pipitea you don't. We get the Kelburn scraps

VUWSA organises and funds various campus activities throughout the year and employs a full-time activities co-ordinator.
CLUBS - $7.67 each ($100,614) A bar crawl once a semester needs a full time planner? I'm sure there's other shit he does, like stuff behind the scenes, but really.

VUWSA supports cultural and sporting clubs on campus by funding clubs directly through grants, organising club days, providing meeting rooms for clubs to use, and providing information on how to set up and run a club. VUWSA employs a full-time clubs co-ordinator and helps with the University Games by funding University Sport New Zealand.
SALIENT - $4.84 each ($63,514) I have no beef with this, I would love the univeristy to have more clubs and an actual student vibe, making it feel like a University, but I'm asking a lot

VUWSA funds your free student publication, Salient.
VUWSA EXECUTIVE REMUNERATION - $5.21 each ($68,398) I don't get how this is free when we pay $5.21 each and more to the point, why don't we get more than a handful of copies down at Pipitea, I like the magazine, it's shit, it's crude, but it's prepaid and something to read weekly in print

An elected executive represents VUWSA each year. The President is a paid full-time position; the two Vice-Presidents receive 40% of the President’s salary; and each member of the General Executive, including the Women’s Rights Officer and the Treasurer, can earn up to $2,900 in honoraria and bonuses. Can we say "too many execs?

GST - $11 each

VUWSA is required to pay this tax. would be less GST if I was in charge as a result of reduced 'services'
VUWSA TRUST CONTRIBUTION - $15 each

Collected since 1958, it has been used to finance major capital expenditure such as the building of the Student Union Building and the Rec Centre. This fund is accruing now for the next project.
STUDENT UNION - $12.48 each ($163,750) I'm a fan of this, despite the student union building just hosting an STA, a bookshop and the most expensive bar in the city

VUWSA contributes a significant amount of money each year for the costs of the Student Union Building. In return, VUWSA receives free use of the buildings for clubs, free aerobic classes, fully serviced offices for VUWSA, and offices for Student Job Search and Salient.
ADMINISTRATION - $12.73 each ($167,013) I'm fine with this, it's tangible things for me, assuming it covers the rec center

VUWSA’s administration costs include telecommunication, postage, accounting, depreciation, insurance, and computing expenses. Probably also covers removing the paint from the walls when one exec got drunk and painted hippy ideals on the wall, or the grand spent on psychic hotline calls

To read more about VUWSA or see articles about what a shit show the history is read about it on the Salient website key word VUWSA

edit post

0 Reply to "Extended Rant on VUWSA"