Composed with a category three hangover

Posted on 4:37 PM, under

I made some minor purchases this week, after handing in my assignment I got a hair trimmer so I could get rid of the excess hair, I like having short hair. Shocked at the price tag being lower than expected I treated myself to American Gangster on DVD, I guess you can argue it is consumer surplus.

The next day whilst shopping for lettuce I was talking to my friend about how I can't find a water filter in this town. I look down and one was there. Aisle of dreams, so yeah, my water doesn't horrible any more.

Assignments are in, I made it to about of the final weeks lectures and exams are coming over the horizon. No rest for the wicked I guess. Well, that's a blatant lie, I've been in bed all day nursing myself back to normal.

I think the handing in of my assignment allowed me to change down a gear and in return get the flu. I wound up in town just to watch a movie with Jack and we saw 21. It's not often I read a book before they turn it into a movie, or read that book before I see the movie but when I do I cherish the fact I can wear my metaphorical tweed jacket, smoke my pipe and say the typical elitist comment that the book was better. And it was. I thought that the movie sort of ignored all the exciting bits from the book and seemed to flog the dead horse that is black jack in Vegas for an hour. If you hadn't read the book then you'll be fine with that and take up black jack, just like you took up making martinis when the latest Bond movie came out. Yeah, you're one of those people.

Saturday saw me in bed for most the day sniffling. I did some lawns work and then broke out the gem clear. Almost instantly drunk, I was in a good place, witty, made some good photos and even dressed nicely, I was all class really. Even cooked Doug a pie after he threw up, helped when Nicky through up, I made it through the night unscathed.

I guess I can be thankful I woke up weak, but not wanting to vomit. If I can clean my room today I'll claim the day as productive.

Oh, I got a comment(s) on older posts. One from someone in the Libertarianz. I wont make you look for it, here it is.

Well, I'm certainly sorry to hear that we lost your vote, Chris.

Libz believes that the government has no more business owning all the roads in New Zealand than, say, owning all the electricity and phone lines.

And as a student with a large student loan myself, I do understand your reluctance to vote for something that would negatively affect you personally. But again, I see this as a moral issue. Why should the taxpayers of New Zealand pay for your education? Is forcing them to do so (via taxes) really a morally defensible action?

Luke Howison
Libertarianz Media Coordinator


I guess my take on the education part of the comment is that I don't think I would of jumped into further education had their not been some government support and I could be bold enough to say that a lot of people would be in a similar situation. I guess it solves the brain drain aspect. The ones who would make the decision to go would be better compensated here as there is less supply of university graduates. We'd probably have more tradesman, working and learning a trade at the same time to sustain themselves, which I'm told are in high demand as it is. So I guess there is an upside.

Then again we'd miss out on all those other majors which don't pay so well, or at least to my knowledge. My flatmate does Religious Studies, if she didn't plan to be a house wife then I have no idea what she'd do with that.

Jumping back a bit, I'm sure it's more efficient having roads in private hands, as well as our rail.. (I wont start) but I think it's misleading when I consider this

"Libertarianz will make the first $50,000 of income tax-free immediately. This means that the average New Zealand household, with an income of $68,000, would keep an extra $403 per week, going a long way to offset rising food, electricity and fuel prices."

Off the bat it sounds nice, but we'll still be taxed. Money will still be needed to cover these services that your tax dollar (pretty much everything but national defense - which only makes sense because you can't exclude protection for one person, so it makes sense to tax all for it, but I find it unnecessary to raise defense spending) will no longer cover so that raises prices to a degree (by degree that means I'm to hungover to attempt to make a number)

I guess it comes down to preference. And by no means do I find Luke H wrong in his choice, that's the beauty of democracy I guess. Really I'd like some hybrid party that takes a spoonful of different policies, but I'm an idealist.

To the horror of some I'll probably just end up choosing Labour because I don't want National wielding too much power.

edit post

0 Reply to "Composed with a category three hangover"